Monday, June 9, 2014

Project of the Week with Repeat Impressions~Recessed Window

Hello it is my turn for a project of the week.  For my project I picked a recessed window.  I made two cards using this technique for you.


I used several of the images from Bottoms Up and Wine Time for my two cards.  This is a fun technique and really gives a card a custom look. One of the things I like about this technique is that it uses basic craft supplies.
 The supplies needed to make these cards
  • 10 1/2 x 5 1/4 card stock folded in half for the card base
  • ruler
  • square die
  • craft knife
  • bone folder
  • washi or low tack tape
  • Score Tape or other strong tape
  • decorative papers and embellishment to finish card.

Here are the steps to make you own recessed window card.

Place die in the center of the inside of the card front and tape in place with washi tape.  Trace lightly with a pencil around the inside and outside of the die.  I used a black pen so it would show up in the photos.  You don't have to worry about the pencil lines because you will cover them when finish the inside of the card. 
Remove the die and using a ruler draw lines as illustrated to give you a guide to cut the opening.


Using a craft knife and a ruler cut the lines you just drew.  With the back of a craft knife and a ruler lightly score the inside and outside lines from when you traced around the die. 
Fold and crease with a bone folder so that you recessed area looks like this.
Add tape as shown.  Next you can add you image.  The opening is 3 1/2 if you use Spellbinders Small Squares as I have.  You will need to adjust the measurements if you use a different die.
 Here is what the inside of the card looks like.
 And here is a close up of the front.  You can see in this photo you can see the cut areas in the corners.  To cover this you need to make a front panel hide this.  Using the same square die cut out the center of your designer paper or card stock.  Save the square you cut out to use on the inside in the next step.  Now add sentiments and embellishments to finish the front of your card.
Don't forget the inside as you have that ugly inside of the recessed window that you will want to cover.  Here is how I finished the inside of my cards. 



 One more look the finished cards.


There are a lot of steps to these cards, but when you break them down they are all fairly simple and give a card such a wonderful look.  I hope you will give a recessed card a try. 


Have a wonderful week!!

Thank you for stopping by.
Brenda





3 comments:

  1. Great cards and idea- I am totally pinning and trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these cards. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great POTW, Brenda! Thanks for the easy to understand step-by-step instructions. Don't be surprised if you see this on my blog soon. Thanks much

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate you taking the time to stop by, thank you.